7th– 10th April 2016
Danny Willett won his first Major Championship as he held off the challenge of Lee Westwood and defending champion Jordan Spieth in a dramatic final round of the Masters Tournament at Augusta National. Danny’s final round of 67 was the equal best of the day. What a most remarkable 12 days of his life as he followed up becoming a father for the first time with winning a Green Jacket at the Masters Tournament.
“You talk about fate, you talk about everything else that goes with it. It’s just been a crazy, crazy week” – Danny Willett
How about a lifetime exemption into the Masters Tournament! Priceless…
Congratulations Danny, you deserve every success!
- His fifth European Tour International Schedule victory in his 197th European Tour event.
- Moves to ninth in the Official World Golf Ranking, from 12th.
- His second European Tour victory of the 2016 season, following the Omega Dubai Desert Classic.
- His victory comes in his second appearance in the Masters Tournament.
- Like 2015 champion, Jordan Spieth, won the Green Jacket in his second appearance. In recent years Charl Schwartzel won in 2011 on his second attempt. Herman Keiser also won on his second outing in 1946.
- Becomes the first European to win the Masters Tournament since José María Olazábal in 1999.
- Becomes the first English player to win the Masters Tournament since Sir Nick Faldo won his last Green Jacket in 1996, 20 years ago.